Car accidents, sadly, are very common in Nevada, with thousands of crashes and collisions reported each year. If you end up in such an unfortunate car accident, you should take a few basic steps right away. First things first, stop at the accident site and check if everyone is okay, regardless of who had a fault in causing the accident. Next, call 9-1-1 right away. Even if the police don’t respond immediately, you still have evidence that you sought help. Nevada follows the at-fault rule with regards to car accidents. This means that if your injuries are a result of someone’s fault, you may ask for compensation for your losses and suffering. Like most people, you are probably wondering – Should I really hire an accident lawyer? Here are some solid reasons to hire one.
- You were partly to blame. If you had a role in the accident, you may lose some of your due compensation. Nevada follows the modified comparative fault role, which means that your share of compensation will be impacted by your share in the accident. For instance, if the jury found that your losses are valued at $20,000, but you also had 10% share in the accident, you will only get $18,000 in compensation. Your lawyer can help you get the compensation you deserve.
- You aren’t sure of fault. Sometimes, it can be hard to establish fault in case of car accidents. You have to be 100% sure to get the due settlement on your claim. If you are unsure of liability, let your lawyer investigate the matter on your behalf.
- You have received a small settlement offer. Remember that insurance companies will do anything possible to ensure that their liability is minimized. As such, they may make an offer, which is likely to be way lesser than what you deserve. You need an accident lawyer, who will negotiate and settle things on your behalf.
- You don’t know how to deal with claims and processes. That’s probably one of the most important reasons for hiring a car accident lawyer. You would want someone who can work on your side and handle all the paperwork and related processes. If the negotiation process doesn’t go through, they will take things to court.
- Because accident lawyers don’t cost right away. That’s right. Most lawyers in Nevada will be happy to work on a contingency basis, so they only get paid if and when they win.