Very Rare household problems are as painful as a badly blocked toilet. It’s an inconvenience that can disrupt your daily routine and, if left unattended, can lead toumbing disasters. Common causes of toilet blockages often include toilet paper, foreign objects, and excessive waste. Sometimes, the blockage occurs deeper within the plumbing system, making it more challenging to address. But with the proper knowledge and a little confidence, you can tackle even the most stubborn clogs. In this article, we’ll explore how to unblock a badly blocked toilet and how a drain liner can be of your utmost help.
1. The Plunger Method
The trusty plunger is the first line of defence against toilet blockages. To use it effectively, follow these steps:
- Ensure there is enough water in the toilet bowl to submerge the plunger head.
- Place the plunger over the drain hole and create a tight seal.
- Push down gently, then pull up forcefully, maintaining the seal. Repeat this motion several times.
- The pressure created should dislodge the blockage and allow water to flow freely.
2. Baking Soda And Vinegar
This natural remedy can work wonders in breaking down organic matter causing the blockage. Here’s how to do it:
- Pour a cup of baking soda into the toilet bowl.
- Follow it with two cups of white vinegar.
- Allow the mixture to sit for at least 30 minutes, ideally overnight.
- Finally, flush the toilet and see if the clog is gone.
3. The Coat Hanger Trick
In some cases, a simple wire coat hanger can save the day:
- Unwind the hanger and shape it into a long, straight tool.
- Insert it carefully into the drain hole and manoeuvre it to dislodge the blockage.
- Be cautious not to scratch the porcelain, as this could lead to future problems.
4. Hot Water And Dish Soap
Sometimes, a combination of hot water and dish soap can be effective:
- Add a few tablespoons of dish soap to a hot (but not boiling) pot.
- Pour the soapy water into the toilet bowl and let it sit for a while.
- The soap should lubricate the blockage, making it easier to flush away.
5. The Drain Liner Solution
For severe blockages or frequent issues, it’s time to consider the drain liner, a modern and innovative solution for badly clogged toilets. Drain liners are flexible tubes made of resin-coated fabric that can be inserted into the plumbing system, forming a new, smooth inner pipe surface. Professionals often use this method as it provides several benefits:
- Long-Lasting Solution: Drain liners can extend the lifespan of your plumbing system by decades.
- Minimal Disruption: No need to excavate your yard or tear up your bathroom, as drain liners can be inserted through existing access points.
- Versatile Application: Drain liners can be used for various pipe sizes and materials.
- Environmentally Friendly: This method reduces the need for replacing pipes, conserving resources.
While the drain liner solution is highly effective, it’s best to leave it to trained professionals who can assess your plumbing system’s needs and install it correctly.
A badly blocked toilet is undoubtedly a frustrating and unpleasant situation. However, armed with the proper knowledge and a willingness to try various methods, you can often resolve the issue independently. By conquering toilet blockages with confidence, you can maintain a smoothly functioning plumbing system and a more peaceful household.